Me..... Nice guy...... regular guy..... happy guy.... fun guy..... funny guy.... likes to laugh.... likes to be spontaneous.... likes to focus on the positive... good conversationalist.... interesting life stories and beliefs... good manners... good at being a gentleman.....
I have an open-minded, curious approach to life and the world, and live an active and adventuresome life. I maintain a good balance between being free spirited and a settled soul. I enjoy my time the most when spending or sharing it with a woman. I am emotionally and financially stable. Experienced in age, youthful in spirit (adventurous, spontaneous, out to shows and nightclubs a fair bit, etc.).
I have a strong commitment to taking care of where I live, and I think service to a greater good is the noblest of endeavors. During my 30's and 40's, I was executive director of two wildlife conservation organizations in the western U.S. I spent my 20's as a wilderness guide and environmental educator. Recently, I shifted my career focus to working in an international context, and to place more emphasis on helping people in other countries meet their basic needs.
In addition to work and a social life in the city, my favorite pastimes are to:
- Travel: locally, regionally, nationally, internationally. For a weekend, or a month. I've traveled throughout the world, so I can find social and conversational connection with just about anyone. My love of seeing different people, cultures, and landscapes is why I recently changed my career focus to an international context.
- Be active and in the outdoors. I like walking, hiking, biking, swimming, sailing, scuba diving, kayaking, rafting, camping, backpacking, climbing, skiing, and so on. Now that I am on the coast (I arrived in Santa Cruz in July 2015), I'll be adding surfing and SUPing to that list.
- Listen to music. Music is a very big part of my life (rock, Americana, RandB, blues, jazz, world, bluegrass, folk - musical roots gumbo!!!). Live music best, stuff you can dance to. I go to a number of music festivals each year, in recent years including Hardly Strictly, Waterfront Blues, Lockn', Peach, Targhee Americana, Targhee Bluegrass, Christmas Jam, Wanee, others. I was a DJ at a college radio station for 4 years (in my 40s), and I'm learning to play the mandolin. I like to sing too, and do so a good bit of the time.
Beyond that, I offer these quotes or phrases that reflect my approach to living:
- Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Attitude: the difference between an ordeal and an adventure.
- I'm not perfect, but parts of me are incredible.
- Now is a good time.
If who I am is of interest to you, I look forward to hearing from you.