I’m tempted to give a cop-out response. Something like: “Hey, I’m not good at writing about myself so all I’ll say is that I like to travel, eat good food, and hang out. P.S. I’m fun.” That sounds incredibly boring, doesn’t it? I’m not pointing fingers (OK, well maybe I am), but I see those kind of profiles all the time and I just can’t seem to get myself to write something so lame. So, here it goes:
I smile through the fun and I smile through the sad. I’m not perfect, and I don’t expect you to be.
• I’m ambitious. If I really want something, I’m going to find a way to get it. If that means a vacation by myself, so be it. I’m not waiting for someone to “complete me” (I’m pretty complete by myself) or even to come “save” me (unless it is from a gigantic spider/bug/crawling thing…you know what I mean).
• I’m adventurous. OK, that may sound over the top. You’re not going to find me mountain climbing or scuba diving because I’m afraid of heights and of drowning in open water – although scuba diving looks fascinating. I love to hike. Last summer I made it into the ocean (up to my knees), but spend more time swimming laps in the pool. I still take wrong turns that lead to strange adventures in my car (I need to learn to trust my GPS more). I’m thinking about taking my first camping trip, although I’m uncertain if I could survive the night by myself. Look, I once stayed at a Motel 6 and considered it “camping” (trust me, it was rough).
• I’m a geek. And proud of it. I’m learning to code in python. For what reason? I don’t know. But, it’s fun. When there is time, I’ve been known to play video games and am oddly OK with watching someone else play them (weird, I know). I’m an amateur at epee and proudly named my sword Steve. Before you comment about it, yes, a more logical name would have been Pierce, but naming a sword is somewhat illogical. I like art, although you will never find me at a gallery discussing an artist’s angst that is represented by some usage of color. I’ve taken up Chinese brush painting. If I ever show you my painting that looks like a blob of purple and black, please, spare my feelings and tell me that I was artistically able to convey grapes on the vine. It will make me smile.
• I remember random things. Like the name of a grade school friend’s pet’s name (Jonas the cat). Perhaps you liked Ovaltine as I child (I might be nice and gift you with a canister of the stuff). This also extends into random facts. It makes me a great partner when playing Trivial Pursuit or Pictionary. Granted, you may hear me yell out “barometric pressure” when you were trying to draw “offsides.” Who doesn’t like a few laughs?
• I’m very close to my extended family and spend as much time as I can with my nieces and nephew. I’m the “fun Aunt” (granted, I’m the only Aunt). I also maintain a very small group of good friends. In fact, my best friend and I have been together for almost 25 years. Having those strong relationships have helped me discover a good sense of self. I can only hope that other people have been just as lucky as I have been. I have no idea why I made this bullet point so serious. Maybe it’s because I’m not just about fun and games. I care about the people in my life.
• Speaking of using bullet points, you can see that I have the habit of using them often. I think this is the one of the worst habits that I picked up from work. That, and I tend to always be 5 minutes late – a habit that I work hard at breaking. Just being honest.
You made it through reading all of that. It wasn’t so bad, was it? Maybe you skimmed it and hoped I’d add something super revealing in this last paragraph. If that is the case, I am going to disappoint you.