[UPDATE: I'm in a relationship, but I'm still looking for people to learn from and hang out with. So if you're super gung-ho about wanting a relationship, sorry to disappoint.)
My knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by my zest for kung-fu treachery.
I moved here from Canada last September (Apparently I have an accent?). I am currently in a PhD program studying neuroscience (NOT neurology - I don't care THAT much about people >:D). The immediate response I usually get for this is some "Ooh, Ahh" followed by a comment about how smart I must be. It's a bit of a pet peeve; I don't want to acknowledge it lest I sound arrogant, and I really don't think I'm that smart. I still go get drunk at the end of the day just like everybody else.
Apart from that, I try my best to indulge in intellectual pursuits, debauchery and ultraviolence, but I could always use more people to indulge with. I have a personal adventure quota and I try to stick to it, but let's face it: it's tough when you're on your own. But since I like to run out, learn things and have said adventures, I like to think I switch gears at a rapid pace.
Example: So far this year I've tried out kayaking, homebrewing, qigong, burlesque, Linux, and writing a Ke$ha parody song about how much I love dim sum. Maybe I'll go for cagefighting next. Who knows? I don't have a Bucket List so much as I like to do ridiculous, stupid and awesome things, and then retroactively put them on my Bucket List. Like the one time I was onstage during a live Amsterdam sex show. The one time I kicked a girl in the groin. The one time I accidentally committed adultery in Japan. Or the one time I got drunk and high enough to vomit orange vitamin water all over the Sheridan platform the next morning (what, I hadn't done that before! Geez.)
I'm a qualified Tai Chi teacher and I've reached suitable proficiency in both Taekwondo and Naginata. I have a passing knowledge of anatomy and how various neurotoxins work, AND at the last Defcon I learned how to pick locks. I figure I'm that much closer to being a spy/assassin when I grow up (to the point where I've named my breasts "Search" and "Destroy"). If all else fails, at least I look good in a Chun Li costume.
Also, I have horrible interpersonal skills; I'm ridiculously naive, innocent and gullible; and I'm only witty in writing.
You should message me if:
- you have Balance.
- you're a ****ing Ninja. Or a spy. Or a hacker (and need a roommate for the next Defcon...)
- you have a knack for unlocking the potential in people.
- you're Irish. Or part-Irish. This isn't so much a preference as that Irish people are always messaging me, so I kind of want to keep the ball rolling to see how far it goes.
- you're self-sufficient and you don't need a woman for reassurance or to fill some gaping void in your life. I have one ****, I don't need another.
- you blast the Cthulhu Christmas Album in the car during the holidays.
- you can switch from introvert to extrovert and back without too much trouble.
- you like obscure beer and random trips to microbreweries/brewpubs.
- you can perform a Bollywood dance number with a reasonable degree of panache.
- you have a smidge of chivalry in you and you know how to treat a lady when it comes to it, but not to the point where I think you're a whipped idiot.
- you play the bagpipes or the fiddle, or you know what a bodhran is.
- you know the difference between Wu Chi and Tai Chi and how they lead to the Ten Thousand Things.
- you're willing to take photos of me trying "Pho with Cow Penis" at Tank Noodle and post them on Facebook with a caption saying "Mai-Mae loves the cow penis" or some similar innuendo
- you're devoted to bettering yourself but not to the point where you're anal retentive or hoity-toity about it
- two Zeusaphones playing the theme from Dr. Who gives you a raging nerdgasm.
- you like proper spelling and grammar.
- you're understanding but also willing to tell it like it is - I'm tired of being with people who are too understanding and too forgiving of my faults.
- wacky bullsh*tjust seems to follow you wherever you go
- you understand Rules 1 and 2
- you like tasty healthy food
- did I mention Balance?
I'm a bit utilitarian with people. I want to experience and learn things, and I appreciate people who are conducive to that. It sounds cold, I know. So sue me. But, I am all about a good ol' Information Exchange. I learn something, you learn something, we learn something together, ??????? PROFIT!
If you have interest/proficiency in any of the following:
- computer science. (emphasis on Linux and hardware hacking)
- ballroom dancing (I love Foxtrot and I'd LOVE to learn tango).
- naginata. There are NO nagi clubs in the city, and they are 2-person forms.
- any hard martial arts
- languages (bonus for Japanese, Chinese, Latin, Gaelic)
- weapons of any and all kinds
- social engineering
- taiko drumming
- cooking (bonus for chinese food, indian food, vegetarian and vegan foods although meat OMNOMNOM)
- anything remotely interesting. This is in no way an inclusive list. Be creative and surprise me!
I can provide the following:
- a sparring partner for a hard martial art
- a push-hands/experimentation partner for a soft martial art (see also: Tai Chi Teacher, if you know nothing and would like to learn)
- naginata (see above; if you're gung-ho about it I can teach you although as an 1-kyuu it admittedly isn't much)
- someone to bounce ideas re: weaponry physics off of.
- basic lockpicking
- anything related to neuroscience (wanna know how caffeine works?)
- meditation partner
- basic Japanese
- roadtrip buddy
- anything goes here too. The harder the demand, the more I'm pushed and the more I grow.
Or, best choice, we can pick something and do it togevar! It will be glorious.